Monday 9 July 2012

Young Creatives: VEROSCHKA

Adozen Magazine caught up with the North East's next big thing in the world of boutiques and all things unique. We did a quick Q+A with Veronika Marshall, 18, who is in the process of launching her online boutique, VEROSCHKA.

What inspired you to create VEROSCHKA?

"I think I just wanted my own shop. Since I was about six, I knew no matter whether it would be a bakery shop, a toy shop, a barber shop or a clothes shop…I just knew that I really wanted to own one. My sister always had amazing jewellery and clothes…entering her room was like entering Wonderland for me. Every time she'd leave the house, I'd sneak into her room and stick prices on her stuff and pretend to sell them. I just loved everything about it. 

The name 'VEROSCHKA' was inspired by my family. They'd always call me 'Veroschka', it was just a cute way of pronouncing my name in Russian. I guess it just stuck to me. I think when you create a brand, you create something that reflects you, something you're very comfortable with and ultimately something you know will make others experience a similar vibe. When I hear 'Veroschka', I think of my family, so it's really comforting. 

As a child, I lived in Holland for a year, so I saw a lot of exhibits, museums, shows. The overall atmosphere of the place I lived in was always full of excitement and vibrancy, which reflects some of the designs. Whilst the darker side to my garments consists of my dreams, as most of my dreams seem to be in black and white with unusual patterns and shapes, which I would say is a kick start to the ideas for my designs."

Summarise your overall inspiration.

"Childhood. Traveling. Dreams."

Where would you like VEROSCHKA to be in five years?

"Hopefully, a well established brand. I'd love to own a studio in London and work with my own team."

Describe VEROSCHKA in three words.

"Fierce. Fun. Eclectic."

If VEROSCHKA was a car, a chocolate bar or a model, what types would it be?

"For the car, I'd have to choose a Porsche 911, comfortable and fierce just like the clothes.


The Model would be Andrej Pejic. I just love everything about this model. I adore the androgynous look, which is something I'm currently working on with my designs.

I remember when I was little, my gran used to always buy me this chocolate bar called 'Korovka'. It was actually the best chocolate I have ever eaten. I think Veroschka is just as tasty as Korovka."






The official VEROSCHKA website launches Mid August so watch this space. Meanwhile, check out Veronika's blog at www.veronikamarshall.com.

Follow Veronika on Twitter to be kept up to date; @veronikamarshall
&/Or give VEROSCHKA a like on Facebook; http://www.facebook.com/pages/VEROSCHKA/329189337098404


By Chloe Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment